How to Use RoIP in Commercial Communication
"Hey boss, I tried to call Jimmy on the radio but he didn't respond. I called him on his cell phone and he said he didn't get the radio call. Can you fix our radios to help us talk when we need to?"
"Frank, I'll see what I can do to help you and Jimmy communicate. Do you know anything about this RoIP communication deal?"
How can the boss help out Jimmy, Frank and the rest of the radio users communicate when necessary? The solution is as simple as RoIP (Radio over IP).
What is RoIP? In our past blog, Radio over IP - What is it?, we defined Radio over Internet Protocol (RoIP) as a two-way communication method which involves trans-reception of radio communication signals over internet protocol (IP). Cost effective and power efficient, RoIP essentially leverages the same communication principles as that of VoIP but requires one of the nodes to be a radio fitted with an IP interface. This interfacing may further be extended to multiple two-way radio nodes, a personal computer, calling software like Skype Phone, PDA, smartphone and telephone, or even traditional two-way radio hardware – pretty much any form of communication device which can relay signals over IP.
Do you use RoIP communication solution or are you considering it? Do you know the benefits of adding RoIP to your current communication system? Why would you use RoIP in radio communications? Let's take the example above to understand how RoIP can be used in to help communication.
It sounds like Jimmy and Frank have a dead spot that they run into frequently, or enough that it was brought up with the boss. Let's say the dead spot is a construction site that the main radio site will not reach. It would be very easy to use a base radio at the construction site and link it with RoIP back to the main site. Thus providing communication at the construction site for as long as it's needed. The diagram below shows five sites connected by RoIP.
Here are other reasons to use RoIP to enhance radio communications.
- Increase Communication Range - Fill in Dead Spots
- Improve Reliability - Use RoIP as a Back Up
- Increase Network Flexibility - Adjust Talk Groups to include who you need to Communicate
- Communication Efficiency - Use RoIP to make all your different Systems Communicate
- Link Communication Sites - Create a Wide Area Communication System
- Use IP devices to access Radio Communication - Use Software, PC's, Tablets, Smart Phones to Access RoIP Solution
- Create Interoperable Systems - Connect Disparate Communication like P25 and Digital to Analog systems
- Lower Cost - Use RoIP instead of Leased Lines
- Move Away from Copper Lines - Saving Hundreds or even Thousands each Month
BridgeCom Systems RoIP family of products is called TL-NET. TL-NET RoIP Solution
Do you have a communication problem like Frank, Jimmy and the boss? This video demonstrate a site to site RoIP link and would be a perfect solution for their communication problem.
What can RoIP do for you? Do you want to know more about the products in the video? Give us a call let BridgeCom Systems help with your solution.